These Mexican-inspired vegan breakfast tostadas combine fresh veggies, creamy avocado, and crispy corn tortillas for a morning meal that’s hearty and healthy. Chickpea flour (also known as besan or gram flour) makes a cholesterol-free substitute for eggs that will keep you satisfied as you start your day. Turn up the heat by adding a spoonful of pico de gallo salsa with a zesty mix of jalapeño, cilantro, and lime juice.
Tip: Chile peppers contain oils that can irritate your skin and eyes. Wear plastic or rubber gloves when working with them.
- 1½ fresh jalapeño chiles (see tip, recipe intro)
- 1 medium tomato, chopped
- ¾ cup onion, chopped
- ¼ cup fresh cilantro, chopped
- 2 tablespoons lime juice
- 12 6-inch corn tortillas
- ¾ cup red bell pepper, chopped
- 2 cups fresh broccoli, coarsely chopped
- 1 cup chickpea flour (also called besan)
- 2 tablespoons nutritional yeast
- 1 teaspoon regular or sodium-free baking powder
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- ½ teaspoon ground turmeric
- 1½ cups unsweetened, unflavored plant-based milk
- Sea salt, to taste
- Freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- 2 cups chopped romaine or salad greens
- ½ of an avocado, seeded, peeled, and sliced
- 1 lime, cut into wedges
- For Fresh Pico de Gallo, in a medium bowl combine 1 thinly sliced jalapeño chile, the tomato, ¼ cup of the chopped onion, the cilantro, and lime juice. Cover and refrigerate until ready to serve.
- Preheat oven to 375°F. Place tortillas directly on oven rack; bake 8 to 10 minutes or until crisp. Cool on a wire rack.
- Finely chop the remaining ½ jalapeño chile. In a large nonstick skillet cook bell pepper, the remaining onion, and the chopped jalapeño over medium for 3 to 4 minutes, stirring occasionally and adding water, 1 to 2 tablespoons at a time, as needed to prevent sticking. Add broccoli; cook 2 to 3 minutes or just until color brightens.
- In a large bowl combine the next five ingredients (through turmeric). Gradually add milk, beating until mixture is smooth. Add to skillet; cook 10 to 15 minutes or until thickened, stirring frequently. Season with salt and black pepper.
- To serve, top tortillas with romaine, broccoli mixture, Fresh Pico de Gallo, and avocado. Serve with lime wedges.
Leave a Comment